Join the Chamber’s Team! We’re hiring!
Program & Event Coordinator
The Program & Events Coordinator’s primary objective is to oversee all Chamber events and program activities including the Haggen 4th of July Celebration, Chamber Speaker Series, the monthly Networking Breakfasts and many more. The position is responsible for ensuring every event is successful and that all events meet budgetary requirements including vendor sales and control of expenditures.
The Program & Events Coordinator works closely with the Marketing Coordinator and Sales & Membership Manager and must be a team player.
All Chamber staff are required to be advocates for the Bellingham/Whatcom Chamber of Commerce and the community.
As a member of our small office, you will also be called on to fill in other roles when necessary.
|Responsibilities and Duties
- Plan and operate all existing Chamber fundraising, networking and educational events.
- Coordinate and support all Chamber events, including Junior Ski to Sea Parade, Junior Ski to Sea Race, Blossomtime Parade, Haggen Family 4th of July and 3X3 Basketball Tournament, Chamber Golf Classic, Chamber Speaker Series, Industry Close-ups, On Topic Events, Networking Breakfasts, Business After Business, Ribbon Cuttings, Open Houses and any additional events by the Bellingham Chamber * Compile Event Records for future planning, promotion and posterity.
- Prepare an annual event analysis with a focus on participation, relevance, profitability, community benefit and membership benefit.
- Solicit vendors for chamber events.
- Ensure necessary income generation from yearly events through preliminary event budgets and managing of event spending.
- Serve as the lead staff person on all Chamber events and activities.
- Ensure that each event comes off in a manner that maintains a positive public image.
- Volunteer and Intern procurement and management for each Chamber event. Provide an end of the year volunteer hours report for financial records and potential grant applications.
- Manage each committee that you are assigned to be organized, prepared, following a timeline, and ready to meet the challenges which any event might provide.
- Coordinate all Chamber events in such a way that they are not rushed or require excess expense due to inadequate planning.
- Event site selection, scheduling, transportation and parking coordination, arranging for entertainment and/or featured speakers, event security, catering, emergency plans, event venue décor aligned with chamber event brand
- Acquiring necessary permits and licenses; including but not limited to Special Events Permits, WA State Liquor Licenses, Whatcom County Health Department Food Event Licenses, etc.
- Request Certificate of Coverage from Insurance Company when applicable.
- Solicit donations for raffle items, volunteer food and drinks, competitor refreshments, etc.
- Manage event registration. Increase event participation with a focus on making user-friendly processes for attendees, guests, participating teams, etc.
- Maintain and update event inventory list
- Perform other job duties as assigned by the President of the organization
Qualifications and Skills
- Ability to organize, plan and prioritize workload involving multiple projects at one time.
- College degree helpful but not required, preferably in event planning or public relations or 3 – 5 years’ experience in the field.
- Effective skills in Social Media to help promote the Chamber and events.
- Possess a Chamber personality. Ability to provide excellent customer service and be a team player.
- Must be a hard worker and self-motivated ability to work independently.
- In-depth knowledge of sales functions and customer service oriented principles.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively cultivate relationships with prospects, members, volunteers and community stakeholders.
- College degree preferred. Institute for Organizational Management or Chamber Academy desired.
- Ability to communicate effectively to diverse audiences
- Must be a team player that works well in fast-paced, changing environment
- Must have the ability to foster the values of member relations and quality assurance in customer service
- Experience in project management or event coordination including budget and development.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills,
- computer literate: All Word, Excel, Access, Internet, Publisher or similar program.
- Experience coordinating large events preferred.
- Previous Chamber experience and familiarity with marketing a business organization preferred.
- Medial, vision, and dental benefits. Paid vacation, sick, and holiday time off.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: $13.00 to $16.00 /hour
- Job Location: Bellingham, WA 98225
- Required education: Associate
- Required experience: Event Planning: 3 years
How to apply:
Interested parties are asked to send their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.