Whatcom County offers a variety of employment opportunities – from construction to engineering, commercial fishing to telemarketing, aerospace to software development, healthcare to farming, we have something for everyone.
In 2013, Whatcom County’s labor force was nearly 104,000 strong, with an unemployment rate of 6.9 percent. By December 2015, the unemployment rate dropped to 5.3 percent.
The county’s 2013 average annual wage was $41,334 and the median household income was $51,939.
The average commute to work is less than 21 minutes.
Sound good to you? Check out all the service providers who are here to help you find your dream job in beautiful Whatcom County.
Whatcom County employment services include:
- NW Workforce Council – The Council is a 27-member board responsible for governance and oversight of the workforce development system in Whatcom, Skagit, Island and San Juan counties. The Council convenes private and public sectors to address workforce development issues. The Council identifies current and future workforce trends, needs and priorities, and works with stakeholders and constituencies to execute priority initiatives.
- Worksource Whatcom – Worksource is the state’s official career and employment site. It functions similarly to an “unemployment” office in other states while providing training opportunities. Their services are free of charge and everyone is welcome.
- Training programs include: writing resumes & cover letters, interviewing techniques, effective job searches, Microsoft IT Academy, Key Train, GCFLearnFree.org. They also offer apprenticeships and worker retraining and education programs for dislocated workers.
- Goodwill – Goodwill offers programs for youth, seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities, criminal backgrounds and other special needs.
They offer occupational skills training, job readiness programs, e-learning, on-the-job training, access to transportation, childcare and English language training.
- An Employment Solution – An Employment Solution is a staffing firm which works in partnership with employers to offer free employee assessment and placement in the office, professional, electronics, light industrial and skilled trade job markets.
- Bayside USA – Bayside USA is a professional recruiting & employment service which offers contract assignments, direct positions & temporary placement in the areas of engineering, design and drafting, and other technically oriented tasks.
- Cascade Job Corps Center – Cascade Job Corps is a no-cost education and career technical training program administered by the U.S. Department of Labor which offers residential job training & job placement for younger, entry-level workers.
- Express Employment Professionals – Express Employment Professionals is a staffing agency that offers temporary staffing, evaluation hiring and direct hire placement in a multitude of administrative, commercial and professional fields.
- Kelly Services – Kelly Services is a temporary & full time staffing agency which provides tailored solutions for employers and employees in fields ranging from education & government to industrial & information technology.
- Labor Ready – Labor Ready provides on demand staffing for short or long term needs in the fields of aviation, construction, energy, hospitality, manufacturing, retail, transportation and logistics. Labor Ready helps businesses be more productive by handling their employment sourcing, recruiting, screening and workforce management needs.
- Manpower – Manpower is a staffing agency which provides permanent placement, workforce programs and work force insight and innovation designed to optimize human potential and provide businesses with key competitive advantages.