Leadership Whatcom programs develop community leaders and citizens with insight and skills to:
- Work together on tough issues, even those that can be polarizing or divisive
LW trains participants to work with conflict productively and find common ground.
Involve multiple stakeholders and perspectives to creating lasting solutions
- LW provides rich experiences working in diverse groups of all sizes. Participants develop action-
oriented skills and strategies for promoting dialogue in mixed groups.
Work with complexity, issues are never as simple as they seem
- LW encourages a nonpartisan look at tough issues. Participants use situational analysis tools to
examine complexity and assumptions that may stand in the way of creative solutions.
Leverage community assets and work with unlikely partners
- LW promotes an assets-based approach. Participants expand networks, perspectives
and ways of working with them.
Recognize that we can accomplish more together than we can alone
- LW trains participants in action-oriented, team leadership skills; participants apply in the community.
Please submit this completed application no later than 5:00 pm, Monday, September 8, 2020.
Applications can be submitted by email to email@example.com or mailed to Leadership Whatcom, c/o BRCC, 119 N. Commercial Street, Suite 110, Bellingham, WA 98225. Tuition payments should be made payable to BRCC. If you have questions about this application, call Guy Occhiogrosso at 734-1330.
Selection Process And Criteria
All applications will be handled confidentially and reviewed for completeness. A selection committee member will review finalists and contact references provided by the applicant. Leadership Whatcom does not discriminate against applicants and participants on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, political affiliation, disability or occupation.
Financial need and payment arrangements will not be a factor in the selection process.
Diversity of perspectives and an interest in learning to bridge them is a core value of Leadership Whatcom
– program content will draw on participants’ experience and diversity in terms of personal demographics, professional/community experience, perspectives and values.
In selecting the Leadership Whatcom Class, we will evaluate applicants on:
- Commitment to community involvement
- Expressed interest in developing and applying leadership skills during the course
- Professional and personal involvement in the community
- Ability to attend and participate fully in the scheduled program
- Contribution to group diversity
Commitment To Full Participation
Program participants are expected to attend all scheduled program dates and participate fully.
Monthly session days are a full day commitment, start at 8:30am and end by 5:00pm which may require you to arrange your work schedule and/or secure support from your employer to participate.
Please review the 2020-2021 program dates. If your schedule does not permit you to participate in all session dates outlined below, please consider applying in the future.
LW Program Tuition for each participant is $1,200 for Chamber members & $1,500 for non-members. Participants may choose to obtain sponsors who recognize the benefits of leadership development to help cover the tuition. Potential sponsors could include participant’s employer or professional, civic, or faith groups. After acceptance into the program, tuition is payable in full by Monday, September 14, 2020. In extenuating circumstances, alternate payment schedules and tuition assistance are available. Please contact Guy Occhiogrosso for details on program payment plans and tuition assistance.