The Jr. Ski to Sea Race presented by Haggen Northwest Fresh and the City of Bellingham is officially canceled. The decision to cancel the event was not easy but given the circumstances associated with COVID-19 it is the responsible choice. For any questions related to registration and refunds please contact the City of Bellingham.
The Jr. Ski to Sea Race is presented by Haggen Northwest Fresh and the City of Bellingham is an annual relay race organized and hosted by the Bellingham Regional Chamber of Commerce. It is for participants who are in 3rd grade – 8th grade.
The 2020 Jr. Ski to Sea Race will be held on Saturday, May 16th at Squalicum Creek Park in Bellingham.
Each year, six-member teams register to participate in a five-leg race consisting of running, Hula Hoop partner race, biking, soccer and an obstacle course. Click here to scroll through the maps of each race leg.
There are three races and three divisions per race.
All three races will have three divisions.
- Both Elementary School Races (AM & PM) will have (1) a Male-only division (2) a Female-only division and (3) a Mixed division (3 males, 3 females). All teams must be all male or all female except in the mixed division.
- The Middle School will have (1) a Middle School Male-only division (2) a Middle School Female-only division and (3) a Middle School Mixed division (3 males, 3 females)
- A participant may compete on only one team and in only one leg of one race. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- The City of Bellingham Parks & Rec Department will be handling all race registrations this year so you will need to log into the City of Bellingham’s website or create an account.
- Click on the registration link.
- Choose the race you want to participate in – (AM Elementary, PM Elementary or Middle School)
- Make sure that you have all of the race participants’ information and contact info for one parent. You’ll need the following information:
- Team name
- Which of the three races your team will be participating in
- Which division your team will be in
- The team captain’s name & address
- Each participant’s name
- Each participant’s age and grade
- Each participant’s parent’s name and phone
- Each participant’s t-shirt size for registrations made prior to April 6.
- The leg of the race that the child is participating in
- Choose a name for your team. The team will be known by that name in all of our records and will need to be included on all material.
- Parents, please choose one parent to serve as the “Captain” of your team. That person will receive all pertinent communication which they can pass onto the other parents with kids on their team.
- The parent/team captain will need to submit a signed “hold harmless” form. We will need a signature from one parent for each kid that is participating in the race. Make sure the name of your team appears on the form. You also have the option of sending the form to each parent and having each one of them sign the form and submit it to the Bellingham Regional Chamber of Commerce. Hold harmless forms can be submitted electronically. You can scan and email the forms to EventIntern@Bellingham.com. If you don’t have access to a scanner, you can take a photo of the signed form with your phone and sent it to us.
- You can pay at the time of your registration or you can pay by check or cash. Please provide the team name on checks and/or be prepared to give the team name if you will be paying in cash. Payment should be made to City of Bellingham. Checks should be delivered to City Hall with your registration form.
- The early-bird cost per team is
- $120 (or $20 per person) from Jan. 6 – Feb. 3,
- $140 per team (or $23.34 per person) from Feb. 4 – Mar. 1
- $160 per team (or $26.67 per person) from Mar. 2 – Apr. 5.
- $180 per team (or $30 per person) from Apr. 6 – May 3.
- Teams that register prior to Apr. 5 will get a complimentary race t-shirt.
- There will be a 1st, 2nd & 3rd place team prize in each division. All winning team members will receive a medal.
- Since most teams customize their shirts and costumes for the race, a limited number of race t-shirts will be made available to teams that don’t have custom shirts and /or costumes. They will be first come, first served and you can request shirts after you receive the race confirmation email following payment and completed Hold Harmless form.
There will be parking at Bellingham Technical College.
Check out photos of past competitors on the Jr. Ski to Sea Fan Page.
Ryan and Myra demonstrate the new Hula Hoop partner event.
Jr. Race finish line – photo by Cody I. Smith
Fun team names and fun team costumes!
Participants are entered into a drawing to win a new bike from Kulshan Cycles!
Jr. Race 2015 – photo by Cody I. Smith