The Junior Ski to Sea Race and Parade presented by Haggen Northwest Fresh is an annual relay race organized and hosted by the Bellingham Regional Chamber of Commerce. It is for participants who are in 3rd grade or older.
The 2019 Junior Ski to Sea Race will be held on Saturday, May 18th at Squalicum Creek Park in Bellingham.
Congratulations to team Fire Falcons. This is their 3rd first-place finish in a row! We can’t wait to see you in 2019!
Each year, six-member teams register to participate in a five-leg race consisting of running, Hula Hoop partner race, biking, soccer and an obstacle course.
There are three races and three divisions per race.
AM Elementary Race (3rd, 4th & 5th graders)
Check-in & course walk-through – 8:00 a.m.
Race begins – 9:00 a.m.
Middle School & Community Race (6th, 7th & 8th graders and anyone in 3rd grade and older may compete in “community race”)
Check-in & course walk-through – 11:00 a.m.
Race begins – 12:00 p.m.
PM Elementary Race (3rd, 4th & 5th graders)
Check-in & course walk-through – 1:15 p.m.
Race begins – 2:15 p.m.
All three races will have three divisions.
- Both Elementary School Races (AM & PM) will have (1) a Male-only division (2) a Female-only division and (3) a Mixed division (3 males, 3 females). All teams must be all male or all female except in the mixed division.
- The Middle School & Community Race will have (1) a Middle School Male-only division (2) a Middle School Female-only division and (3) a Middle School Mixed division (3 males, 3 females) and (1) Community open division (open to everyone). Note: All Community Race Participants must be in grade 3 or above.
- A participant may compete on only one team and in only one leg of one race. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Make sure that you have all of the race participants’ information and contact info for one parent. You’ll need the following information:
- Team name
- Which of the three races your team will be participating in
- Which division your team will be in
- The team captain’s name & address
- Each participant’s name
- Each participant’s age and grade
- Each participant’s parent’s name and phone
- The leg of the race that the child is participating in
- Each participant’s t-shirt size
- Choose a name for your team. The team will be known by that name in all of our records and will need to be included on all material.
- Parents, please choose one parent to serve as the “Captain” of your team. That person will receive all pertinent communication which they can pass onto the other parents with kids on their team.
- The parent/team captain will need to submit a signed “Hold Harmless” form. We will need a signature from one parent for each kid that is participating in the race. Make sure the name of your team appears on the form. You also have the option of sending the form to each parent and having each one of them sign the form and submit it to the Bellingham Regional Chamber of Commerce. Hold harmless forms can be submitted electronically. You can scan and email the forms to Stephanie@Bellingham.com. If you don’t have access to a scanner, you can take a photo of the signed form with your phone and sent it to us.
- You can pay at the time of your registration or you can pay by check or cash. Please provide the team name on checks and/or be prepared to give the team name if you will be paying in cash at the Bellingham Regional Chamber of Commerce Office.
- The early-bird cost per team is $150 (or $25 per person.) That special expires on April 12, when the price goes up to $180 per team.
- All Participants will receive a T-shirt.
- There will be a 1st, 2nd & 3rd place team prize in each division. All winning team members will receive a medal.
There will be parking at Bellingham Technical College.
Check out photos of past competitors on the Jr. Ski to Sea Fan Page.
Ryan and Myra demonstrate the new Hula Hoop partner event.
Jr. Race finish line – photo by Cody I. Smith
Fun team names and fun team costumes!
Participants are entered into a drawing to win a new bike from Kulshan Cycles!
Jr. Race 2015 – photo by Cody I. Smith